Monday 30 April 2012

Overcoming TANTRUMS!

To have a good communication, one has to understand the other, and vice versa. For me, talking to my son, giving instructions such as.. eat, go to sleep, put your dirty clothes in the basket, give this to Dahlia, go colour book,.. is ok, as he understood the instructions given. However, when he wants something, I can only understand part of it. His 'please..' sounded more like 'peh', and when he wants his puting (pacifier) he will say 'teh', when he wants milk, he'll say 'mek'..I tried really hard to listen to him, figure out and most of it just guessing what he's trying to say. But despite that, I guess I'm not doing my job well enough, because he has just started to develop this tantrums.

Out of no reason, he'll scream!!! and then roll on the floor crying his heart out. At first I thought that someone might have upset him, like say 'No' to what he wants.. But actually it's his way of telling me, "you are not listening to what I'm saying and what I want". How upsetting it must be for him. Any tips how this tantrums can be stopped as soon as possible without making it any worse??

I guess its the same thing thatcan happen in a husband-wife relationship, or mum-daughter, or even father-son relationship. When one person is trying to convey something, but his / her intention was interpreted the other way round, must be very very upsetting right? For me, my 'tantrums' may not be the same like what my son did, but its still a tantrum of silence that I usually put up. But for an adult, this can be prevented by honest, open communication. Dont hessitate to say what's on your mind, and if it doesnt come across in a way that you want the other person to understand, just try and re-word it to a simpler analogy. Usually that works. If not, just do whatever you feel right, and makes you happy. :D

Imagine when a pacifier can no longer work to soothe him.. OH NO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment